Senior Scientist – Downstream Process Development
College Station, Texas
- Purification methods development of specific protein molecule(s).
- Development of downstream protein purification processes and technical transfer into cGMP.
- Preparation and authoring of technical reports, including writing and reviewing SOPs, STMs, procedures, instructions, analytical plans, protocols, and summary reports.
- Interacting with appropriate analytical and upstream functional areas to determine appropriate method for protein purification.
- Participation in decision-making processes within the project team by actively engaging in scientific and technical discussions.
- Originates development ideas and independently applies scientific knowledge to achieve project goals.
- Provide monthly project reports to department head summarizing milestones, successes, and issues.
- Designs, executes, and interprets complex lab experiments and applies advanced scientific knowledge associated with larger and more complex experiments and projects.
- Supervise technical staff including setting objectives and development plans, performance management, career development, training, mentoring, guiding, etc. Matrix management structure.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Individual will have considerable knowledge/expertise relevant to downstream processing of protein based products expressed in mammalian, bacterial, insect and yeast cells. Knowledge/expertise should be practical and focused on lab-related activities:
- Downstream development of protein purification processes.
- Hands on experience with chromatography based processing methods and tangential flow filtration techniques.
- Experience with GE Healthcare’s AKTA line of chromatography systems is desired.
- Protein biochemistry (protein folding, protein degradation, aggregation, etc.).
- General analytical methods applicable for proteins (HPLC, electrophoresis, assay development, etc.).
- Knowledge of cGMP concepts.
- Application of statistical concepts and performs higher level analysis involving analytical or process experimental design.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues in Downstream technology transfer into cGMP manufacturing.
- Instrument care, maintenance, troubleshooting and data interpretation.
- Document writing, data interpretation, presentation, statistical analysis and trending.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Builds credibility within lab group by performing high quality work.
- Expands the technical capabilities of Process Development Group, such as technology development, use of the literature and systems development.
- Teaches others regarding their expertise and training other members of Process Development Group with respect to the day-to-day lab goals and activities.
- May be assigned as a technical lead on smaller to moderate programs.
- Effectively communicates results of own work though scientific meetings, presentations, discussions and documentation with some input from supervisor.
- Minimum supervision required on day-to-day activities and accomplished tasks.
- Leadership input focused on status and future of project or technical area and long-term development path.
- May be responsible for leading a team, including creating project goals and development plans, teaching team members, including providing ongoing coaching and feedback and providing input to the supervisor regarding performance reviews and ensuring that the goals of the group are met.
- The ability to work in team oriented environment is essential, as this person will work closely with other members of the Process Development Group and participate on multidisciplinary project teams.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws including interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, directing work, training and development, disciplinary actions, performance reviews, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Experience prolonged standing, along with some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Use hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment.
- Attendance is mandatory.
- Ph.D. preferably in Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences or related field, with 1 year of relevant experience including management/supervisory experience; OR
- Master’s Degree preferably in Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences or related field, with 6 years’ of relevant experience including management/supervisory experience; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences or related field, with eight (8) years’ of relevant experience including management/supervisory experience.
- Associates Degree preferably in Chemistry, Biology, Life Sciences or related field, with ten (10) years’ experience including management/supervisory experience.
- Experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
If an accommodation to the application process is needed, please e-mail FDBTHR@fujifilm.com or call 979-431-3528.