Scientist II, Microbial
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
We are ‘Advancing tomorrow’s medicines’ and making a real difference to the world in which we live. At Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, we partner with our clients to deliver recombinant proteins, viral vaccines and gene therapies to patients. As a Contract Development & Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), our focus is to combine technical leadership in cell culture, microbial fermentation and viral vectors with world class GMP manufacturing facilities to advance tomorrow’s medicines. We seek candidates with proven ability to work independently and collaboratively to achieve optimized strategies, and execution programs with the ultimate goal of delivering products that transform the lives of patients.
The Upstream Process Development group is seeking a Scientist II with experience in microbial and recovery technologies. A Scientist II independently designs, executes and interprets complex laboratory experiments and development activities with priorities set by supervisor to achieve project goals. The individual demonstrates a practical understanding of own scientific discipline and applies knowledge in support of product development and new technologies.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May be responsible for a client project as a technical lead.
- Independently generate experimental designs, conduct experiments, performs data analysis, and interpret data.
- Independently identify and resolve technical or project issues.
- May manage planning and scheduling for their program.
- Independently apply scientific and/or cross-functional knowledge to achieve project goals.
- Quality of work is complete and technically sound to ensure integrity of research.
- Ensures safety procedures and culture norms are followed.
- Demonstrated expertise in microbial and recovery technologies and theory. Experience running fermentors is ideal.
- Broad knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, engineering and associated techniques.
- Ability to complete technical assignments by designing, executing, and interpreting complex experiments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to deliver results within defined budget, timing, and resources constraints. Considers impact on other functional areas.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to communicate in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and adjust activities in a fast-paced environment with defined deliverables and deadlines.
- Ability to monitor on going experiments and suggest alternatives or solutions.
- Working knowledge with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, statistical packages and other associated software used in the scientific field.
- Works independently with minimal guidance.
- Trains and provides guidance to lower level scientists.
- May provides functional supervision to junior scientists.
The position typically requires a Ph.D. and 0 year of experience, M.S. and 3+ years of experience or B.S. and 7+ years of experience in upstream microbial technologies.
FDBU works with technical data, technology and materials that are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. This position will require access to technical data, technology and source code that is controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations at 22 C.F.R. Parts 120 – 130 and Export Administration Regulations in 15 C.F.R. Part 730 – 774, as may be amended. To conform to these laws and regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 USC 1324(b)(a)(3) (i.e., asylees and refugees) or otherwise eligible for an export authorization from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce. Offers of employment will be contingent on the Company’s ability to secure an export authorization. FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.
FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of FUJIFILM about this requisition. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at FUJIFILM via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of FUJIFILM, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by FUJIFILM for this requisition and a valid agreement with FUJIFILM is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the FUJIFILM agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.