Principal Scientist/Group Leader, Analytical Development (Biochemistry)
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
The Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, RTP, NCAnalytical Development group is seeking a skilled scientist to fill an exciting technical leadership role as a Principal Scientist/Group Leader located at the Bioprocess Innovation Center in Morrisville, North Carolina.
The successful candidate will lead execution of client-based projects within the Analytical Development group. The individual will have demonstrated expertise in the development and application of analytical methods for release and characterization of recombinant biopharmaceutical products. The candidate will have demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought. This position will contribute to the success of projects in various stages of cross-functional development and tech transfer by designing and planning all analytical aspects of the project, monitoring timeline adherence, reviewing scientific data, writing protocols and reports, representing the analytical development group in client interactions and managing project deliverables internally and externally. Finally, the successful candidate will lead a team of 1-3 direct reports. This includes providing ongoing coaching and feedback, performance management and ensuring that the goals of the group are met.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required for the successful candidate:
- Demonstrated ability designing, managing, executing and problem solving analytical studies to support the development and cGMP manufacturing of recombinant biopharmaceutical proteins
- Experience with the development and application state of the art methods for release and characterization of recombinant biopharmaceutical products. The successful candidate must have extensive experience with application of at least two of the following technologies in a biopharmaceutical development arena: liquid chromatography (HPLC/UPLC), capillary electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, and mass spectrometry
- Ability to comfortably and effectively multi-task in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with defined milestones and deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as an individual contributor, with a team of 1-3 direct reports, with internal customers as part of a cross-functional team, and with external clients
- Written communication skills including experience writing protocols, summary reports and test methods
- Oral communication skills including experience presenting technical project status and data-driven updates to internal and/or external customers.
- Balancing creativity and innovation by initiating new experimental approaches and related work processes and procedures that align with scientific and business needs, requirements, and objectives.
- Contributes to the technical and leadership development of junior staff.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are desired for the successful candidate:
- Experience working in or interfacing with a regulated GMP environment is desirable
- Experience managing scientists in a direct or matrix environment
- Experience working in a contract manufacturing or testing organization is preferred (demonstrated ability to work with clients)
The position typically requires a PhD and 7+ year experience in the biotechnology/biopharmaceutical industry, MS and 13+ years’ experience in the biotechnology/biopharmaceutical industry or BS and 18+ years’ experience in the biotechnology/biopharmaceutical industry.
FDBU works with technical data, technology and materials that are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. This position will require access to technical data, technology and source code that is controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations at 22 C.F.R. Parts 120 – 130 and Export Administration Regulations in 15 C.F.R. Part 730 – 774, as may be amended. To conform to these laws and regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 USC 1324(b)(a)(3) (i.e., asylees and refugees) or otherwise eligible for an export authorization from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce. Offers of employment will be contingent on the Company’s ability to secure an export authorization.
FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.