The Formulation Development Group, positioned within Analytical Development, is seeking an experienced Senior Scientist to oversee the continued implementation and expansion of our automated formulation development robotics platform. This position calls for a strong team player who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and enjoys the challenges associated with lab automation, in regards to both sample preparation and complex biophysical analysis.
The primary role of the successful candidate will be the operation the Freeslate Biologics Platform robotic system, maintaining the system to a high degree of quality, troubleshooting, interfacing with the vendor to overcome software and hardware challenges, and continuing to expand on our current use of the system into more advanced applications. The candidate will be the subject matter expert for all aspects of the robotics platform. Secondary to this role (and depending upon prior experience) the senior scientist in this position will be trained on all biophysical equipment and in the assessment of structure and stability of protein molecules based upon light scattering techniques, thermal and chemical stability, sub-visible particle analysis and spectroscopy. Future opportunities may include formulation development for alternate bio-therapeutic modalities dependent upon business growth.
The successful candidate requires the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Proven experience with robotic platform(s) for sample preparation and analysis; ideal experience would be with the Freeslate system (LEA software, Design Studio, Automation Studio) or alternatively, Tecan products.
- Technical expertise in several of the following techniques, specifically in the analysis of proteins: differential scanning calorimetry, dynamic and static light scattering, circular dichroism, fluorescence spectroscopy, sub-visible particle analysis.
- Designing, managing and executing experimental robotic workflows for protein formulation sample generation and analysis.
- General knowledge of protein structure and stability.
- Good Laboratory skills such as buffer preparation, sample handling, safety procedures, chemical handling.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Experience working in a contract manufacturing or testing organization is preferred (demonstrated ability to engage with clients). The optimal candidate will have a keen eye for detail, excellent writing skills, and desire to communicate in a positive manner with clients.
- Continuous improvement initiatives (initiating and completing).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work individually or as part of a team; a person who highly values collaboration, a positive work environment and scientific enthusiasm.
- Comfortable multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment with defined deliverables and deadlines.
The formulation development group is a high performing team that works on the majority of the programs that come into Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, globally, for formulation development, process development support and general molecular stability troubleshooting. The group is comprised of very strong scientists that are personally driven towards quality work for our customers and science-based decision-making. We value a strong work ethic, excellent data integrity, maintenance of data organization and traceability, scientific enthusiasm, innovation, employee engagement and overall job satisfaction.
The position typically requires at a minimum a:
- PhD and 3+ year experience,
- MS and 6+ years’ experience or
- BS and 10+ years’ experience in the biopharmaceutical industry.
FDBU works with technical data, technology and materials that are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. This position will require access to technical data, technology and source code that is controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations at 22 C.F.R. Parts 120 – 130 and Export Administration Regulations in 15 C.F.R. Part 730 – 774, as may be amended. To conform to these laws and regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 USC 1324(b)(a)(3) (i.e., asylees and refugees) or otherwise eligible for an export authorization from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce. Offers of employment will be contingent on the Company’s ability to secure an export authorization. FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.
FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.