Principal Scientists x 3
Grade 33-34 (dependent upon experience)
Salary – £35,385- £49,750
Post Ref – 2020ATR012-014
Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies based in Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees specialise in developing manufacturing processes for customer’s biologic drugs and offering stability studies to support customer drug substance and drug products.
With plants in Billingham and Wilton UK, Hillerod Denmark, North Carolina and Texas USA our Global Vision is to be the leading and most trusted global Contract Development and Manufacturing Organisation partner in the biopharmaceutical industry.
As we continue a period of significant growth, we are currently recruiting a number of scientists in Analytical Development and Upstream and Downstream Operations in our Process Development department within Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies, UK.
Highly motivated individuals are sought to join a group of scientists working to develop recombinant protein processes suitable for the manufacture of biotherapeutics. The available positions are for Principal Scientists based on qualifications and experience in executing and initially developing one of the following: analytical methods, mammalian cell culture or protein purification.
The successful candidates will be laboratory-based and, working as part of project teams:
- Analytical Development: Involved in the transfer, establishment, development, and qualification of analytical methods associated with the assessment and characterisation of recombinant proteins, including techniques such as chromatography, electrophoresis, and spectroscopy. Providing analytical support to both upstream and downstream process development. Facilitating transfer of analytical methods to Quality Control.
- Upstream Mammalian Cell Culture: Involved in cell line development (CLD; from transfection, cloning and selection of cell lines to evaluation of clonal cell lines in scale-down mimics of the production process) and / or process development (PD; from scale down mimics to pilot scale bioreactors), dependent on experience. Future opportunities to be cross trained in microbial fermentation also exist.
- Downstream Processing: Involved in the design, establishment and development of downstream protein purification processes to capture, enrich and purify a plethora of molecular classes pertinent to the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry from a range of expression systems such as microbial and mammalian feedstocks.
Education & Experience:
Principal Scientist: PhD with/without post-doctoral study-level or equivalent relevant biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience within the areas advertised
Technical Skills Requirements:
- Sound knowledge of analytical methodologies associated with the assessment and characterisation of recombinant proteins.
- Practical experience in analytical techniques associated with biologics, including chromatography, electrophoresis and spectroscopy. Knowledge of LCMS and biophysical techniques would be beneficial.
- An understanding of the requirement to qualify/validate methodologies in support of GMP manufacture.
Upstream Mammalian Cell Culture
- Knowledge of mammalian cell line expression platforms and / or cell culture process development strategies
- Practical experience in aseptic technique and mammalian cell culture (ideally CHO based) methods
- Experience of transfection / cloning techniques and / or operation and control of stirred tank, laboratory scale (1-10L) mammalian cell culture bioreactors a plus
- Knowledge of protein purification strategies for the isolation and purification of recombinant proteins
- Practical experience in utilising a range of downstream processing techniques and equipment including chromatography and filtration
- A desire to work on a broad range of activities from process design and innovation, often using our automated High Throughput Process Development (HTPD) toolbox, to pilot scale (~ 200L feedstock) operations, prior to facilitating process transfer to one of our GMP manufacturing facilities within the UK or US
- Be flexible, self-motivated and have the ability to work as part of a team
- Ensure a high standard of science and quality of work are maintained
- Contribute to the efficient running and continuous improvement initiatives of your functional area within the multi-disciplinary, team orientated PD department
- Able to communicate progress of projects by both verbal presentations and written reports to both internal and external customers
- Capable of designing and delivering experiments and writing protocols and reports
- Contribute to the implementation of new and innovative ways of working
- Interface with all of your respective development streams within the UK and the USA
- An ability to lead and inspire scientists within your project team towards shared goals and objectives on behalf of Fujifilm and their client
We offer a generous benefits package including;
- Competitive salary plus company bonus scheme
- Up to 35 days of holiday, plus bank holidays.
- Salary Sacrifice scheme offering, bikes, dental etc.
- Free parking.
- Generous pension scheme.
Interested applicants must complete an application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon on Friday, 07 February 2020.
Interviews expected to be held week commencing 24 February 2020.
If we have not contacted you within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have not been shortlisted on this occasion.