- Create and nurture an environment that encourages collaboration around idea generation, experimental techniques, and sharing of knowledge and resources
- Oversees the scientific quality of work within the department and ensures departmental procedures are followed and are up to date
- Identifies, develops and implements innovative and complex projects with significant potential value to the Company
- Works with group leaders to plan client projects in terms of timing and resources
- Integrates efforts across teams; resolves conflicts and removes obstacles that stand in the way of accomplishing project goals and objectives.
- Recommends new areas for novel development and innovation
- Resolves technical problems in area of expertise
- Leads interdisciplinary teams on complex projects; contributes significantly to the leadership and coordination of multiple development teams
- Technical development and mentoring of staff
- Interacts with development management in the planning and coordination of major projects
- Drives the adoption of best practices across the department.
- Adhere to all relevant compliance requirements.
- All other duties as needed.
Individual will have extensive knowledge and expertise relevant to downstream processing of protein, virus, and plasmid DNA based products expressed in mammalian, bacterial, insect and yeast cells. Knowledge and expertise should be both practical and theoretical
- Expertise in all areas of downstream process development both practical and theoretical.
- Lead teams working on complex projects
- Prioritization of resources to ensure project milestones are achieved
- Have leveraged specialized expertise to generate revenue and extend knowledge
- Ability to develop sophisticated and elegant development and innovation programs of potential value to the company
- Heavily involved in setting the scientific direction of the company’s development and innovation efforts
- Acts as an advisor and consultant to management on research, development or innovation having a significant impact on the future of the company
- Knowledge of the regulatory requirements and quality standards related to downstream development.
Required Skills & Abilities:
The Associate Director will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated in-depth contributions in area of scientific specialty and developed expertise in other specialty areas
- Provides leadership in their areas of expertise within process development group.
- Able to work on broad and highly complex problems, which may span geographic boundaries
- Able extend knowledge across a global organization in a given field
- Participates in the shaping of FFDB research, development and innovation agenda
- Recognizes and leverages innovative opportunities within a project
- Able to develop the capabilities of other staff members for the preparation and presentation complex scientific information to internal and external groups
- Development of technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Originates research ideas or new project proposals
- Implementation of new technologies and concepts
- Role will involve frequent and extensive direct interaction with clients therefore excellent written and oral communication skills are required as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization and analytical skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other analytical applications.
This is a senior supervisory role which includes hiring and promotion recommendations, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, performance management and ensuring that the goals of the group are met. The holder assumes a managerial leadership role by setting standards, timeframes and priorities, interacting with other departments and assisting with the administrative and managerial duties for the group.
- Responsible for the assignment of project technical leads within group
- Responsible for supporting Marketing & Sales activities such as proposal/scope of work review, sales presentations and lab tours
- May assist in the preparation of the department budget.
- Provide input regarding acquisition of capital equipment.
- Ensures proper resource allocation and flow of project deliverables.
- Achieves results within defined budget, timing and resource parameters; considers the impact of resource allocation on other work streams.
- Demonstrates ability to lead and develop subordinates.
- Provides challenging/stretch assignments to develop staff’s capabilities.
- Supports appropriate employee development opportunities through information, tools and resources.
- Promotes systems and processes that encourage the development of people at all levels of the organization.
- Places emphasis on open, honest and tactful communication
- Understands the impact of department/function actions on broad organizational goals
- Sets clear performance standards and holds staff accountable for achieving business results Leverages other projects/initiatives that potentially impact or are impacted by one another
- Collects and analyzes lessons of both successes and failures across department/functional initiatives
- Communicates learning’s so that they can be broadly translated into ongoing activities/responsibilities.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Experience prolonged sitting, standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Use hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and other office equipment is required.
- PhD with 9 years’ experience
- Masters with 13 years of experience
- or undergraduate degree in a relevant field (chemical or biochemical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry or microbiology) with more than 17 years of experience.
- Must have previous experience of supervising and handling the administration and management duties of a group of scientists.
- Worked on broad and highly complex problems.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
If an accommodation to the application process is needed, please e-mail FDBTHR@fujifilm.com or call 979-431-3528.